The development of steam and motor boat shipping on the Grundlsee

After the opening of the Kronprinz-Rudolf railway in October 1877, the Aussee region was also developed for tourism. Albin Schraml, a pioneer of tourism, founded a steamship company and began the shipping route on 14 June 1879 using a small wooden steamer named “ERZHERZOG JOHANN”.
  • 1895

    After 17 years of operation, the steamer “ERZHERZOG JOHANN” was replaced by the steamboat Kronprinz Rudolf.

  • 1902

    Albin Schraml handed over the shipping company to his son, Rudolf Schraml. In the Linz shipyard, a steamer with a capacity for 75 people was ordered and launched in the spring of 1903 as “FÜRSTIN KINSKY”.

  • 1917

    As a result of the First World War, shipping was stopped.

  • 1920

    After a three-year standstill, Ernst Zimmermann’s shipyard was taken over and continued again.

  • 1927

    The Grundlsee shipping company acquired a motorboat built for the River Danube in 1924 which sailed under the name of “ERNSTL”.

  • 1945

    Because of the events of the war, shipping was stopped.

  • 1948

    The shipping company was taken over by Ernst Zimmermann junior. 

  • 1951

    The motorboat “ERNSTL” was renamed TRAUN” (I).

  • 1954

    The steamship “RUDOLF” was converted to a motor ship, using a 110 HP Deutz diesel engine.

  • 1961

    The hull of the MS “RUDOLF” was replaced by the Korneuburg shipyard.

  • 1964

    The motor vessel “RUDOLF” received a new propulsion system, using a Mercedes OM 312 diesel engine that can reach up to 77 Horsepower.

  • 1965

    The motor vessel “RUDOLF” was equipped with new, more elegant super structure. These improvements were carried out by the Linz shipyard.

  • 1972

    In December, the new motorized ship “TRAUN” (II) was brought overland from Linz to Grundlsee on a low-loader.

  • 1973

    The new ship “MS TRAUN” was launched at the start of the season, the old “MS TRAUN” was then scrapped.

  • 1981

    Peter Zimmermann took over the Grundlsee shipping company.

  • 2015

    The Company Braun & Co took over the Grundlsee shipping company.

The images were thankfully provided and made available to us from the archive Schraml. You can find more about this in “Salzkammergut Seen” by Horst F. Mayer and Dieter Winkler Edition S